“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Lifes for the Living, Vientiane

I am in the future, in the New Year. 
Here is a recap of the last few days.


Vientiane

I spent 4 days here. Flew in to Vientiane from Da Nang, after a stop (completely running from the domestic to international terminal) in Hanoi. Arrived early in the evening and split a cab with friends from the plane. Checked into my hostel. Note: Always check if when you book a private room it includes your bathroom. I had to ration my water throughout the night in fear of having to stumble down 3 flights to use the WC. 

Woke up on New Years Eve for an early morning run down the Mekong River. I love these runs in Asia, I feel like I am running next to attractions in Epcot center, when really these temples are the real thing, busting with history and color. Water colors come to life like in Marry Poppins. Quickly changed hotels to one with a bathroom in the room. I am a backpacker but one a little past the sharing toilet stage when I have the choice.

Tattoos are a taboo here in Laos. I am not sure if technically it is illegal, but there are zero parlors anywhere. I was given the name of one guy from a hairdresser, and the same name from the manager of my hotel, so I went with that. Paid 60.000 kip for a tuk tuk ride about 20 minutes across town (of course we broke down along the way). Arrived, the artist was kind, creative, amazing. The people around the "tattoo supply shop" gave me food, a shot of whiskey half way through, then beer on ice (I will never ever get used to this) after to celebrate. About 3 hours of work for less than 75usd. The artist drove me back on his moped to my hotel. 

Got my hair and makeup done from a lady boy for about 4usd ( I will admit that the moment I left the salon I wiped off the white eyeliner and most of the gold glitter). And got ready for New Years Eve, with zero plans. Put on a dress and walked towards the music. I stood near the only people who seemed to speak English..told them this, and instantly made friends. We partied on the front row of this huge party, in front of the stage. Things got a bit crazy...someone had black label whiskey, there was almost a fight in the women's bathroom, and people were kicked off stage..story in a half. Epic night, crazy after wards, will leave that to my memories.

Woke up with a wicked hangover and a mystery bump on the back of my head. Made myself get to the pharmacy, which was closed because of the holiday, of course. Grabbed a passion fruit smoothie, veg Pad Thai and booked myself a trip to Buddha Park.

Which....was pretty cool. Except for paying to get there, paying for entry, and paying for the toilet, I got some amazing shots (sporting my hangover), 2 grilled bananas on sticks, and passed out next to the driver in the van while we waited for the rest of our tour. Scored IB Profin, visited the night market, got tons of grub including scallion pancakes and red curry with tofu, then passed out early.

Awoke, booked a bus for the evening to Luang Prabang (10 hour sleeper) and began my last day in the capitol city.

(read the next post to see the conclusion)









No comments:

Post a Comment