“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adios

It's currently 930, my alarm which is set to Escape by Jimmy Buffet is repeating itself because I keep hitting snooze, there has been a marching band outside practicing on my street for at least an half hour, and Boston has noticed I actually opened my eyes a bit- so he is sitting next to my head peering over me looking for more signs of life so he can kiss my whole face and spin in circles (only turning right like Zoolander- so many people have observed) until I take him outside.  Normal morning.

I think its because the sun rises so early that people are up and at it at such an early hour here.  To be honest I used to be the type that easily could sleep in until 11 to 1130am, and then have to make myself get up to make some lunch, bypassing the morning and its glory altogether.  It is not that I didn't know I was sleeping half my day away, I just like sleep. Yet it is borderline impossible in Central America to sleep in.  (And it does not help that the street I live on is known as Market Street so there are buses and cargo trucks
seeming to pass directly in front of my door starting @ 4/5am... moving up the mountain next so I hear only birds and the wind and the waves) One good thing about living in this town and finding yourself up at early hours, besides the weird fact that I believe my body skips whatever hangover I might have had for some odd reason, is hearing the Agua de Cocoa guy yelling up and down the streets. Most mornings I wake up and open my door (then open my gate) and pay the cute old man 10 cords and he grabs a coconut from the
fridge he has somehow strapped to the front of a bike/rickshaw contraption and hacks off the top, sticks a straw  inside and you've got natures gatorade, and a pretty sweet snack later if you can find a knife sharp enough and get further inside (or just find the agua de cocoa guy and ask him to chop it in half with his machete).

Living in the center of town has its perks, I see the same people almost every day, minus the backpackers and tourists.  In Costa Rica and Nicaragua for the most part no one says 'hola,' instead we all say 'buenos,'...but funny thing about San Juan del Sur is that in passing people on the streets most people say 'adios.'  I was explained this yesterday, the town is so small that of course you see the same people multiple times a day, so the people here just skip the beginning and middle of greetings and say "adios."  The big lady who has the last booth in the market (whom I thought hated me because of my tattoos last time I traveled here) was the first to say that to me since moving here, I feel slightly better about our disposition and slightly more of a resident :)

No comments:

Post a Comment