“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Monday, December 10, 2012

Vacation from my Vacation, Dia 3

28/11/12

-Slept very well besides the sad dreams (having dried tears on my cheers this morning)...had cafe, fruita y pan for breakfast.  Good chat with people at the hostel about travels.  Planned my trip to Antigua (Guatemala) for the day and one night and then on to El Tunco (El Salvador) to meet up with a friend I met on the bus up here.

-On a Chicken bus to Antigua (about 45 min) & 10 quin.  Plan to wander, see museums, churches, etc.  Marcos at the hostel drew me a map and listed out places to go and to eat.  This bus is bumpy but I have the front seat, next to the sweetest looking abuelo.


1358, got to town, beautiful.  Checked into The Black Cat Hostel, then went to make sure my reservation for tomorrow with the van was all good.  Bueno.  Sitting at a little cafe waiting for lunch.  Once again a cute little abuelo was very helpful with directions and planning out my dia on the map.   Stoked to leave here and explore.

-1535, only 330 and I've walked a great bit around the city.  Through churches, the ruins, the Jade museum, down hidden alleyways, explored and saw some of the most amazing architecture.  There was this one church that I believe was destroyed by an earthquake in 1728, it was the perfect example of architectural beauty.  As id everything beautiful that could be was sculpted onto the concrete medium.  I- for the 'first' time in this adventure- had my breath taken away.  My college professor, Burt Stout would have loved to see this.*  The workers allowed me to go inside and see the structure further.  Oh and the church that is nicknamed, 'The Wedding Cake' church  is magnificent.  It lives up to its name; the Jade museum was interesting...got to see workers clean and sand down the gemstone...
-The sky is gray yet the city's architecture and breath of life is as glowing as the sun itself.
-I am truly happy I came here even if it is only for one day.
1723, I just took a hot shower, sound-tracked to my 2 French roommates and their guitars just outside the little bathroom window playing a gypsy melody...amazing...
- I feel alive....red wine shared by a new friend from Israel...2 french men playing guitar...and a Guatemalan night....this boy from Arkansas has joined our small kiva...his voice and guitar is on the loud side of the mood for the evening, but my plastic cup of vino just got refilled so I could care less....I want to capture this circus of rhythm and sound...



Note to self: Just remember to wake up tomorrow morning...

For all pics from this day click here

No comments:

Post a Comment