“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Border Run 1

An excerpt from my digital journal: "Border run; passing volcanoes and wind turbines, 'Gagnam Style' is playing on the cabbie's stereo as we come up upon the miles of semi trucks and la frontiera, this is Nicaragua." 

My 90 days allotted by the Nicaraguan customs has expired so my friend and I ventured off to do the typical "visa run" this morning.  I am still amazed every time I pass by the volcanoes Concepción y Maderas.  Whether it be on the road to Rivas or to la frontiera.  This is a picture from the back seat of the cab...


There are maybe a hundred wind turbines around this area also.  I ♥ the juxtaposition.


So the border situation was nothing fun.  We were heckled left and right, front and back.  To be honest it really is best to play "dumb tourist" at times like this, at least when you're dealing with the policia and border people.  To put a long story short, we made it through with a group of men who I guess were there to assist us with the things I believe we could have just done ourselves- EXCEPT for the part where we were supposed to stay in Costa Rica for a minimum of 8 hours (so said one officer).  We waited for-ev-er (at least 2 hours) and got our stamps leaving Nicaragua, stamps for entering Costa Rica, then our stamps for exiting Costa Rica, and finally (with the help from our original guys/amigos/?) we got our stamps back into Nicaragua.  Paid some people off, I smiled* a bit, and after about 4 hours we were back home in San Juan del Sur.  Grabbed some gallo pinto and a bottle of coca cola and took a breather.


No comments:

Post a Comment