“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Monday, October 22, 2012

Carpenter Ants


I sat by some hibiscus vines today, that are stretching into my herb garden in the porch, well actually they were there, I just decided it was a sweet spot for my garden.  Anyways, there are these crazy huge carpenter ants that if I wasn't saying, "Brooke you wouldn't be freaking out if they were little hummingbirds" in my head, I would have freaked out a bit and moved seats.  They minded their own business and went about meticulously cutting away pieces from a fallen hibiscus flower, pulling, tugging, and moving the pieces to wherever they take them.  I grabbed a few petals and broke them off and gave them to the ants, as in a gesture to help them out.  They had nothing to do with what I gave them.  Stubborn ants.  
 I am at fault for this very thing.  It is very difficult to accept someones kindness and push aside some of your stubbornness...but at the same time- there is no greater power than self-determination.  

The funny thing about carpenter ants is that though they are stubborn, they are determined and get the job done.  

Finding the balance is key.  Still I bet that the carpenter ants house is AMAZING. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment