“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Friday, October 19, 2012

"The important thing is to not stop questioning"- Albert Einstein


When I was little my Papou (grandfather in Greek) sat me down (I remember this distinctly) and told me something I will never forget.  He said, "Brooke, if you wanted to know all about a Sunflower, and you knew very little, you would go to someone who maybe knows about them and ask.  They would tell you that yes I know what that is- it's beautiful flower, with tall stalks, big yellow petals, etc. Then you should thank that person.  Next, go to someone else, ask them the same question, as if you still know very little about sunflowers.  That person might tell you some of the same things, but there might be something new, that maybe that person knew and the previous person did not.  Continue doing this.  Never stop asking questions, even if you look funny doing it, in the end you will know so much about anything you want to know."  So I know it must have gotten annoying in school, mostly in college, when I would always be the one continuously asking questions...on trips when we may be lost and in need of directions (mostly before smart phones), I would always jump out and ask, ask as many people directions/questions as I could.  It is a pride thing with a lot of people, I have come to find out, but its nothing to me.  If you don't ask you won't know.  It is as simple as that.

"Validate, inquire, test, substantiate, experience first-hand, question authority, confirm, challenge assumptions, debate, verify, prove for yourself," an exert from 'Glorious Living' by Steve Morris

"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions."  Charles P. Steinmetz

No comments:

Post a Comment