“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Getting here, whew


I have this tattooed on my back, "When they knock you down, you not only have to get back up but you have to make it clear you won't be knocked down a second time." Quote by Carl Yastrzemski, one of my all time favorite Red Sox players.  Anyways, I guess I have felt this a lot, being knocked down, and I believe that you MUST get up and not only do what you had set out to do in the first place but blow right through it.  Not only succeed, but succeed with triumph.  


I never told anyone the difficulties I went through moving to Nicaragua.  Specifically the difficulties just from Orlando International Airport on, so here is some light reading entertainment.

My flight was scheduled to leave OIA on the 21st of August (this year) and everything was set, as best I could do.  Boston had a slight "relaxing" pill from his vet, I had packed my entire life in one large suitcase and a quicksilver backpack, and my parents took us to the airport.

We made it through everything ok and boarded the plane to Atlanta- yes out of the way but that was the route I had to take for some reason.  Boston was uneasy with the plane but once about 15 minutes passed his "relaxing pill" kicked in and he was knocked out (not really).  We sat on the tarmac for about 45 minutes waiting for the weather to clear up.  There was a major storm system north, which was the direction the plane was headed but not the direction we were headed.  After so much time the plane tarmacked back to the gate and everyone was disboarded.  The plane wasn't taking off anytime soon.  I tried every which way to get a different flight, maybe South say Miami, because that WAS the direction we were headed.  But no such luck.  And my checked bag- everything I had gathered to start my new life- was still on the plane.  The option I was given (granted I have a passed out dog in my shoulder bag and had no clue what was going to happen with my luggage) was to get back on the plane and head to Atlanta (an hour later), but once in Atlanta, there would be no flight to Nicaragua until the following day.  So that meant spend one night in Atlanta, with a sleeping dog, no change of clothes, and spending even more money trying to deal with taxi's and a hotel that would allow Boston.  I actually boarded the plane then decided no, and walked back off.


So I called my parents and got a ride back to their house for the night, planning for round 2 at the airport the next day.  And my bags being in Atlanta (and the other half of Boston's "relaxing pill" in Atlanta).  It was difficult on both my parents, I could tell, for they had sort-of made their peace and had already said their sad goodbyes.  I am grateful for them more than I can say.  OK, onto try number 2, the next day... Boston and I made it on-board the plane, the plane took off, we made it to Atlanta.  Yes!  Had a bit of a layover in ATL so I grabbed some Chinese food and found the only dog park the Atlanta airport has.  It started raining, then it started to downpour.  We exited the area to head back inside and I took a awful fall, slipping on the crosswalk, super embarrassing- and scored nasty mess of a cut on my knee. Moving on, we boarded a bus to take us out to the International Flights part of the Airport (I guess that is what it is called), and as soon as I sat down I checked for my passport and boarding pass.  MISSING.  Begin to panic.  Then panic.  Ran to the Chinese place, nothing, checked the backroom I remember going to before the dog park, nothing.  Asked several security guards and then this (wonderful) lady called me over to some counter telling me that they have been trying to get a hold of me over the speaker system, someone had found my papers and passport- and it was being held at the Delta ticket counter.  Finally reunited with what was most important in this travel endeavor I/we got back on the bus and headed to the separate part of the airport   The storm by this time had picked up and the lady driving was trying her best to see out the window, as were the other gentlemen and I who were her only passengers.  A ridiculously big tree had just fallen across the what seemed to be highway and we barely made it through to pass.  The driver's intercom reported trees down everywhere and that after our bus, no others would be permitted to until the storm let up.  Whew.  All I was thinking is hopefully we make it out of this airport.


15 minutes before we boarded the final plane to our new home/destination, the sun peaked through and the rain let up.

Boston and I made it safely to Managua late that evening and had one of those private driver guys with a sign saying LONG waiting at the door of the small airport for us.  We had made it.  The what could have been simple half day trip had turned into a mentally and physically exhausting mess of a 48 hours.  Just keep on trekking 

Every new thing that happened to us, I swear something inside me began second guessing.  Just for a second, but failure is for the weak.  Needless to say I've never been happier to stop moving and get my feet on Nicaraguan soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment